<< Advertise Here

Members ONLY Chatroom

<< Back to Forum Listings

Discussion:
Hi if anyone needs any help or advice, I am always happy to help just post your question. I am a QFI and GR Examiner..............:-)
Started by: Phillip Gilbert
        Thread Born: 21-04-2012 10:59

You must be logged in to submit your comments in this discussion.

[Newest on top]
Phil, thanks for the reply. Appologise for all the questions, as im sure its clear, i am not very well educated in the subject, but am willing to learn! Dont ask, dont get! I did consider weather restrictions with the commute, and would make allowances for that kind of thing. I have been looking into understanding how to navigate an aircraft with a map? Is it as simple as getting a bearing and following landmarks, or is there some other way of doing it. Personally, although I can navigate a map (in a car or on foot) i think its a part of the skill ill find easy, however I do think ill be buying a sat nav, just so I can enjoy the flying element more. However, I am aware there is navigation training needed to obtain my NPPL.
Lee Whittaker        Reply: 20-08-2012 22:00:42

Hi Lee, using a microlight for commuting, is totally feasible, I do it all the time. Always check in advance that an aerodrome will allow overnight parking, most do. As far as prices it varies greatly, again you would need to check in advance, but £5 sounds very reasonable. Several three axis microlights offer a folding wing option, so they can be stored or transported. As far as a garage is concerned its all down to getting out the tape measure, but I am 99% sure it will not fit in a standard UK garage, I do know someone who has a double garage and it fits corner to corner. You may find that a microlight that has folding wings being sold will have an enclosed trailer with it which could solve your problem. Just remember if you use the aircraft to commute, you cannot guarantee the weather will be ok for the return journey, so never take a chance on the return journey, its better to arrive home than not at all.....Phill
Phillip Gilbert        Reply: 20-08-2012 15:59:22

Phil, I have also enjoyed all things flying, however, I do also have another little agenda that I would like to use my microlight for (when I have one). I am from Birmingham, but a friend of mine lives in Devon, and has a microlight accessible airstrip very close by. something I would like to do is fly down to see him, possibly staying over night, and flying back the next day, maybe even bring him back with me for a few days etc. I know flying microlights is always weather dependant, however, what are the practicalities of me doing this?? If weather was ok, would this be something I would be able to do?? Do airstrips allow overnight stay?? And what is the average take off/landing fees? The particualar airport I wish to fly too regulary would be Eaglescotts, and on last looking, landing is only about 5 pounds. However, I dont know if this is high or low?? Also, I am thinking of buying my own aircraft and avoiding a syndicate if possible. I know there is hangarage issues, however, if owned a fixed wing, and had a trailer, would it fit in the garage?? I understand also that the erection of things planes take time, however, I would obviously take this into consideration when planning flights. Appologise for all the questions!!!! Its just difficult finding information on such topics without speaking with experts. Also, I shall look into those books you suggested. Much appreciated.
Lee Whittaker        Reply: 18-08-2012 13:23:09

Hi Lee Welcome to the world of Microlight flying. To attain your NPPL you will need to take these exams which are multiple choice answer type. Air Law, Navigation, Air Craft Technical, Metorology, HP&L (Human performance and limitations) which can be taken up to 24 months before applying for your license. I would recommend you start studying ASAP, being well prepared is essential, I also recommend you get these books, Air Law for Microlight Pilots, and The Microlight Pilots Handbook, also have a look at the BMAA's website http://www.bmaa.org/ you will find a wealth of information available. Owning a Microlight is pretty straight forward, again details are available on the BMAA's website, maintenance is the Owners/Pilots responsibility, keeping to the manufacturers and legal requirements is on your shoulders. This website I believe will supply free of charge mock exam papers for you to get a feel of the real thing http://www.microlightexams.co.uk/ Fly safe Phill
Phillip Gilbert        Reply: 18-08-2012 09:53:59

Hi, I am new to the microlight world, with only 1 1/2 hours under my training belt. However, I did start to fly gliders (which I didnt enjoy) and have done app 12 hours towards a PPL (when I was younger, so I am starting from scratch again). Just wondered if/what information you could give me about the ground exams and when I should start studying/sitting them?? Also, what are the regulations about owning aircraft and the maintenance on these machines. Much appreciated. Lee
Lee Whittaker        Reply: 17-08-2012 23:13:32

I am already aware of this, it does not effect me, but thanks for the heads up.
Phillip Gilbert        Reply: 05-05-2012 12:49:20

FCL - Advance Notice of a Reduction in the scope of the \'R\' (Revalidation) Examiner Authorisation & the Revalidation Privilege of the \'GR\' Ground Examiner Authorisation Description:The purpose of this Information Notice is to inform industry of the effect of the EASA Aircrew Regulation on \'R\' and \'GR\' Examiners http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=4976
        Reply: 04-05-2012 20:43:19

:)
James Channell        Reply: 28-04-2012 08:39:30

You can always call or email me direct, if you want to keep it private.
Phillip Gilbert        Reply: 21-04-2012 11:02:27

Copyright © 2011 [Website & Media]. Designed by Paul Finch / Mike Jones  
www.totheclouds.co.uk www.flexwingpilot.co.uk